There was a good reason that God invented the Sabbath, and I think that’s doubly important for writers. Our minds never stop. We often feel driven to do, write, be. We’re always pondering, dreaming, thinking. But we need to stop and take some time to honor the Sabbath as well as our body, mind, and spirit.
- Rest your body.
Get your sleep. Take time to do—dare I say it?—nothing. Just sit. Just relax. Our culture is frantically pushing us to the point of craziness and so does the publishing industry.
Busy is not the best.
- Rest your mind.
I have a notebook beside my bed because my mind often doesn’t stop at night. I wake up and have an idea about a character, a plot point, a setting detail—whatever. Without it, I’ll ponder it and lose sleep. If I write it down, I can come back to it later.
Sometimes we need to rest our mind for awhile and just stop and daydream. Stop checking Facebook. Stop watching TV. Just stop.
Let our poor overworked brains rest.
- Rest your spirit.
Ever watch children play with abandon? Their spirits are unencumbered and free to enjoy life. We should play too.
We get too serious, too determined, too competitive, too driven. Sometimes we just need to take some time to enjoy watching a bunny hop around our yard or take a walk and enjoy the beauty of nature or lie in the grass and play the cloud game. It reignites our creativity and energizes our spirit.
So how do I take a Sabbath rest? Hope these ideas might help you too.
- Besides going to church, I try to stay off my computer (unless, of course, I can skype with the grandchildren—then all bets are off!). I avoid social media, writing, or doing anything connected to work.
- I try to do something in nature—take a walk, sit in the yard, etc.
- I enjoy on a nice meal or just a special dessert.
- I spend some special time with my wonderful husband.
- Sometimes we spend time with friends.
- I often call someone that I haven’t talked to in awhile.
- I read or watch TV for pleasure not for research (i.e. work).
- I spend some time praying for the upcoming week.
How do you take a Sabbath rest? I’d love to know!
Follow me on social media!